Institute of Fundamental Theology consists of three chairs:

The Chair of Fundamental Christology and Ecclesiology,
The Chair of the Study of Religion and Missiology,
The Chair of the Theology of Religions

 

They function within three routes: I. Fundamental Christology and Ecclesiology, II. Study of Religions, and III. Missiology

 

The Director - Dr. hab. Krzysztof Kaucha, prof. KUL - oversees and coordinates activities of the Institute.

 

 

Historical Outline

The Chair of Fundamental Theology together with the Chair of the History of Religions are closely linked to the origins of our University. They were both created during the first session of the Academic Senate in the autumn of 1918 in Warsaw. The Chair of Fundamental Theology was entrusted to Fr. Piotr Kremer, former professor of the Catholic Theological Academy in Petersburg. Lectures on the history of religions were entrusted to Fr. Józef Archutowski from Warsaw, who took up the chair of Holy Scripture at the Catholic University of Lublin in 1918.

 

In November 1920 the Faculty Council decided to create four departments in the Faculty of Theology: Biblical Theology, Fundamental Theology, Dogmatic Theology and Moral Theology. Fr. Prof. Piotr Kremer became the head of the Section of Fundamental Theology.

 

Teaching activities of the Section of Fundamental Theology were suspended during the Second World War. After the country regained independence Fr. Prof. Adolf Tymczak was given the post of the head of the Section. He was followed by Fr. Dr. Edward Bulanda.

On May 31st, 1946 the Faculty of Theology Council called Fr. Dr. Bolesław Radomski, then a lecturer at the Diocesan Major Seminary in Łódź and a docent at the Warsaw University, to head the Chair of Fundamental Theology together with the whole Section and gave him the post professor extraordinarius. After his unexpected death in 1956 the post was taken over by Fr. Dr. Edward Kopeć, lecturer of the Diocesan Major Seminary in Wrocław. He headed the Section of Fundamental Theology till he retired in 1983.

 

The Chair of the History and Ethnology of Religion was inaugurated on February 18th, 1958 as the Third Chair of Fundamental Theology. Dr. Teofil Chodzidło, SVD, was appointed as the person in charge of the Chair. On June 23rd, 1958 the Second Chair of Fundamental Theology was launched as the Chair of Ecclesiology. Lectures in this field were entrusted to Dr. Stanisław Nagy, SCJ. In 1963 Fr. Dr. Czesław S. Bartnik and Fr. Dr. Romuald Łukaszyk started lecturing as the Section members.

 

Docent Dr. hab. Stanisław Nagy, SCJ became the head of the Chair of Fundamental Ecclesiology in 1972. He also headed the whole Section from 1983 till 1991. The following persons were subsequently his assistants: Fr. Jerzy Borowiec, Fr. Tomasz Ludwisiak, Fr. Mieczysław Piwowarek and Fr. Henryk Seweryniak. Fr. Prof. Dr. hab. Marian Rusecki acted as the head of the Chair of Fundamental Ecclesiology for many years until in 2008 Fr. Dr. hab. Krzysztof Kaucha took over this post. Fr. Dr. Paweł Borto is an assistant professor.  Dr. Andrzej Pietrzak SVD, who in 2011 became affiliated to the new Chair of Missiology, was the assistant professor for a couple of years. In 2009 Fr. Dr. Zbigniew Krzyszowski finished his long term engagement in the works of the Chair. Research on the credibilityof the Church and the methodology of Ecclesiology is conducted by the staff. In 2013, due to reorganisation of the Faculty structure, the Chair was joined with the Chair of Missiology. Fr. dr. P. Borto was transferred to the Chair of Fundamental Christology, while dr. A. Pietrzak, SVD joined the combined Chair of Fundamental Ecclesiology and of Missiology.

 

Fr. Dr. hab. Marian Rusecki took over the position of the head of the Chair of Fundamental Christology from Fr. Prof. Edward Kopeć in 1985. From 1991 he also headed the Section, and after the transformation of the Section into the Institute of Fundamental Theology in 1999 he became its director till 2008. A number of years, till 2007, Dr. Ireneusz Ledwoń, OFM was the assistant professor to the Chair (till his habilitation and becoming the head of the Chair of the Theology of Religions). Fr. Dr. hab. Jacenty Mastej, also the assistant professor to the Chair, after his habilitation and the resignation of Fr. Prof. Rusecki (who became the head of the newly created Chair of Missiology) became the head of the Chair in 2010. In 2013 Fr. dr. P. Borto joined the Chair as the assistant professor. The scope of their research covers the issues of methodology of Fundamental Theology, credibility of divine revelation and the theology of religion.

 

Prof. Dr. hab. Henryk Zimoń, SVD headed the Chair of the History and Ethnology of Religion (from the academic year 2012/2013 the Chair of the Study of Religion) till his retirement in September 2012. Taking up his initiative in 1985 the Faculty of Theology Council established the Study of Religion as a special route for post-graduate students within the then Section of Fundamental Theology. Dr. hab. Zdzisław Kupisiński, SVD, prof. KUL is the present head of the Chair. Dr. Stanisław Grodź, SVD is the assistant professor. Due to the opening of a new route of undergraduate studies - the study of religion - two other scholars were affiliated to the Chair - Dr. Wiesław Bator (in the 2011/2012 academic year) and Dr. Józef Nowak (from 2011 till 2013). Their research interests go in the following directions: 1) folklore, social and spiritual culture of Poland, 2) religions of non-European peoples (especially African Traditional Religions, Islam), 3) inculturation of Christianity in Africa, 4) Christian-Muslim encounters.

 

The Chair of the Theology of Religions was created in 2007 and entrusted to Dr. hab. Ireneusz S. Ledwoń, OFM, prof. KUL as its first head. Dr. Adam Wąs, SVD has been affiliated to the Chair since 2009, first as lecturer, then as an assistant professor. In 2012 they were joined by Fr. Dr. hab. Krystian Kałuża.

 

Between 2010-2013 the Chair of Missiology functioned within the Institut structure. It was directed by  Fr. Prof. Dr. hab. Marian Rusecki until his sudden death on 15th December, 2012. Dr. Andrzej Pietrzak, SVD was the assistant professor. In 2013, due to the ongoing reorganisation of the Faculty structure, the Chair of Missiology was joined to the Chair of Fundamental Ecclesiology and later moved to the Chair of the Study of Religion.

 

 

/compiled by Fr. K. Kaucha; updated by Stanisław Grodź, SVD/