History of the Department

The Catholic University of Lublin was established in 1918. Two juridical faculties functioned within its structure: the Faculty of Canon Law and Moral Sciences and the Faculty of Law and Socio-Economic Sciences. History common canon law was then one of the subjects taught at the Faculty of Canon Law and Moral Sciences. The Department of Common Canon Law did not exist at that time. In the academic year of 1923/24 the name of the Faculty was changed into the Faculty of Canon Law. Following that change the Department of the History of Origin and Literature of Canon Law merged with the Department of Church Public Law. The Department concentrated on teaching and conducting research on the history of common canon law. On 24th May 1931 the Pope, Pius IX, issued a Constitution entitled „Deus scientiarum Dominus”. The curriculum for the studies of canon law was based on the recommendations given in this Constitution. The Department of the Origin and Literature of Canon Law and the Department of Church Public Law were linked until World War 2. During World War 2 canon law was taught secretly in Warsaw and Kielce.

On 07th March 1945 lectures began at the Faculty of Canon Law at the Catholic University of Lublin. The Faculty Council appointed prof. Leon Halban to the post of the director of the Department of Church Public Law and the Origin of Canon Law. He remained one until 1949. In 1950 the Rev. prof. dr Jan Nowicki became the director of the Department. The Rev. doc. dr J. Rybczyk was nominated to the position of the head of the Department in 1965. Since 11th October 1972 the Department was called the Department of the History of the Origin of Canon Law and Common Church Public Law. On 1st May 1973 the Rev. prof. dr hab. Piotr Hemperek became the director of the Department of Public Law and the Origin of Canon Law. In the academic year of 1980/81 the Department separated form the Department of Public Law and was named the Department of the Origin and Literature of Canon Law. The Rev. prof. dr P. Hemperek was the head of the Department. Another change took place in the academic year of 1983/84. Since that time the Department has been called the Department of History of Common Canon Law. The director then was Bp. prof. dr hab. Piotr Hemperek. Since the academic year of 1996/97 the Rev. prof. dr hab. Antoni Dębiński has been the head of the Department. On 1st April 2011 the Rev. dr hab. Krzysztof Burczak became the director of the Department of History of Common Canon Law.