The beginning of economics  at KUL falls on the year 1918, when Faculty of Law and Socioeconomic Science was founded. The outbreak of World War II interrupted a period of economic studies at KUL because the University was shut down during the German occupation. In 1945, at the Faculty of Law and Socioeconomic Science lunched studies in Agricultural Economics. However, the Faculty was put into liquidation by a ruling of the Ministry of Education on 23 June 1949 as this entity was unwanted in communist Poland.
 
In 1981 the School of Economics was re-established within the Faculty of Social Sciences. Later, on account of the changes within the faculty structure, the Schools were renamed as Institutes and, furthermore, in 1998 the Institute of Management and Marketing was founded, which, in 2008, was joined to the Institute of Economics.
 
At present Institute of Economics and Management employs approximately 40 scholars conducting their research and teaching activity.  The Head of the Institute is Professor Marian Żukowski. The Institute consists of ten departments: Banking and Finance; Public Finances; Financial Markets and Institutions; International Economic Relations; Employees Management in Organization; Economic Policy; Accountancy; Knowledge Driven Economy; Enterprise Management Department; Mathematics Application.