The Chair of Mariology was inaugurated within the Section of Dogmatic Theology on 14 December 1957 and started to work in the academic year of 1958/1959. Fr prof. Andrzej Ludwik Krupa OFM became its first chairman. The next heads were Fr prof. S.C. Napiórkowski OFMConv (1975-2003) and Rev prof. Krzysztof Kowalik SDB (2003-2004) respectively.

    The assistants in the chair were: Rev Wojciech Życiński SDB, PhD, who after his habilitation (1994) went to Krakow (The Pontifical Academy of Theology); Rev Krzysztof Kowalik SDB, PhD (1994-2003) and Rev Kazimierz Pek MIC, PhD (since 1999).

    The chair was under the patronage of prof. Karol Klauza (2004-2008) and since 2008 Rev prof. K. Góźdź has been its curator.

    The scope of the research focuses on: the history of mariology, the reception of conciliar mariology in the Polish theology, Mary in the teachings of the Magisterium of the Church (including John Paul II’s); theological rules of renewal of Marian cult; mariology in ecumenical dialogue; theology of the Mary’s intercession; the Polish mariological bibliography.

    In the chair 55 PhD (Krupa – 15; Napiórkowski – 40) and over 400 MA theses were defended.