Laboratory of Separation and Spectroscopic Method Applications
The main specialty of the Laboratory of Separation and Spectroscopic Method Applications is development, validation and applying of analytical methods for qualitative and quantitative analyses of biologically active substances including small molecules (drugs, metabolites, toxins, pesticides) and proteins. We utilize variety of chromatographic, mass spectrometry and immunochemical methods to understand the role of metabolites in mechanisms of diseases, identify novel therapeutic targets and biomarkers mainly in the field of cancer and metabolic disorders. We also identify food toxins, including pesticides and mycotoxins. Our studies performed in collaboration with the Medical University of Lublin and Institute of Immunology and Experimental Therapy, Polish Academy of Science in Wroclaw focus on the role of glycation and kynurenine pathway on immune response modulation, cancer microenvironment, and human endometrium.
Our interdisciplinary team consists of scientists with competencies in analytical chemistry and biochemistry: Magdalena Staniszewska, PhD, DSc; Ilona Sadok, PhD; Ilona Jonik, MSc.
Head of Laboratory
Magdalena Staniszewska, PhD, DSc
phone: + 48 (81) 454 56 21
Research interests: role of kynurenine pathway and tryptophan metabolites (kynurenines) in cancer and immune response; involvement of advanced glycation end-products (AGEs) in diabetes, cancer, and immune regulation; development of analytical approaches for determination of metabolites and other biomolecules and protein modifications serving as biomarkers; immunochemical assays; liquid chromatography; mass spectrometry; biosensors for determination of disease markers
Ilona Sadok, PhD
phone: +48 (81) 454 46 18
Research interests: development and validation of analytical approaches for quantitative analysis of biomolecules; analytical chemistry, liquid chromatography; mass spectrometry; diode array detection; design of electrochemical sensors; voltammetric sensors; electrode surface modification; biomarker research; tryptophan metabolism; kynurenine pathway; mycotoxins determination; developments in sample preparation; biofluids analysis; food analysis
Ilona Jonik, MSc
Senior Research Assistant
phone: +48 (81) 454 46 18
As the Guest Editors we are pleased to announce launching of the new Special Issue of the open access journal Sensors (ISSN 1424-8220, IF 3.275) entitled "Electrochemical Sensors for Determination of Biomolecules".
Topics of interest include, but are not limited to, recent developments in the following research areas:
- electrochemical determination of biomolecules;
- electrochemical detection in combination with separation techniques;
- determination on modified and unmodified electrodes;
- fabrication of sensors and new strategies for electrode surface modification;
- improvement of the sensitivity of determination of biomolecules;
- developments in method selectivity;
- overcoming the interference of co-existence of compounds in real sample analysis;
- new methodologies for sample preparation for electrochemical detection;
- application in the analysis of biological fluids, pharmaceuticals, food and environmental samples.
For more information please visit the Special Issue website at
The Laboratory is equipped with state-of-the-art instruments allowing for sophisticated chromatography and mass spectrometry analysis:
- Agilent 1290 Infinity Binary liquid chromatograph system coupled with the tandem 6400 Series Triple Quadrupole mass spectrometer (Agilent LC-QQQ6460),
- Capillary liquid chromatograph/nano-LC (Agilent 1200) provided with the chip-cube valve stator coupled with the tandem 6400 UHD Accurate-Mass Quadrupole Time-of-Flight system (Agilent LC-Q/ToF6538),
- 1200 Series liquid chromatograph for standard configurations with the new high dynamic range DAD detector anda single quadrupole mass spectrometer (Agilent LC-Q 6120),
- Agilent Technologies 7890B Gas chromatograph system coupled with the Triple Quadrupole mass spectrometer (Agilent Technologies 7000C)
- Agilent Technologies 7890B Gas chromatograph system coupled with the mass spectrometer (Agilent Technologies 5977A) equipped with the Head Space (Agilent Technologies 7697A)
- Analytical 1200 Series liquid chromatograph system with the DAD detector (Agilent 1200)
- Semi-preparative 1200 Series liquid chromatograph with a UV-VIS detector and a fraction collector (Agilent 1200),
- MALDI-TOF/TOF Spectrometer (Brucker UltraXtreme #8259900)
- The Bio-Rad system for protein SDS-PAGE and WB (Bio-Rad MiniProtean Tetra Cell with MiniTrans Blot module)
- Automatic ASE N350 Accelerated Solvent Extractor system (Thermo Scientific Dionex) the extraction of solid and semisolid samples using common solvents at elevated temperatures and pressures,
- Automatic Gilson ASPEC GX271 system for the solid phase extraction processing of samples,
- Mettler Toledo Excellence T50M automatic titrator.
- „Glycation and kynurenine pathway in modulation of cancer microenvironment” grant from the National Science Centre, OPUS13, Poland for Magdalena Staniszewska (Grant No. 2018/02/X/ST4/00187): 2018-2021.
- „Assessment of the possibility of application of voltammetry in analysis of tryptophan metabolites (kynurenines)" grant from the National Science Centre, Miniatura 2, Poland for Ilona Sadok (Grant No. 2018/02/X/ST4/00187): 2018–2019
- Sadok, A. Gamian, M. Staniszewska, Chromatographic analysis of tryptophan metabolites, Journal of Separation Science 40 (2017) 3020-3045, DOI: 10.1002/jssc.201700184.
- Greenwald SH, Charette JR, Staniszewska M, Shi LY, Brown SD, Stone L, Liu Q, Hicks WL, Collin GB, Bowl MR, Krebs MP, Nishina PM, Pierce EA, Mouse Models of NMNAT1-Leber Congenital Amaurosis (LCA9) Recapitulate Key Features of the Human Disease, Am J Pathol. 186(7) (2016):1925-1938.
- Sadok, A. Szmagara, M. Staniszewska, The validated and sensitive HPLC-DAD method for determination of patulin in strawberries, Food Chemistry 245 (2018) 364-370.
- Ścibior, D. Gołębiowska, A. Adamczyk, J. Kurus, M. Staniszewska, I. Sadok, Evaluation of lipid peroxidation and antioxidant defense mechanisms in the bone of rats in conditions of separate and combined administration of vanadium (V) and magnesium (Mg), Chemico-Biological Interactions 284 (2018) 112-125.
- Sadok, A. Stachniuk, M. Staniszewska, Developments in the Monitoring of Patulin in Fruits Using Liquid Chromatography: an Overview, Food Analytical Methods 12 (2019) 76-93, DOI: 10.1007/s12161-018-1340-9.
- Szmagara, A. Krzyszczak, I. Sadok, K. Karczmarz, M. Staniszewska, E. Stefaniak, Determination of ellagic acid in rose matrix by spectrofluorimetry, Journal of Food Composition and Analysis 78 (2019) 91-100, DOI: 10.1016/j.jfca.2019.02.003.
- Sadok, K. Rachwał, M. Staniszewska, Application of the optimized and validated LC-MS method for simultaneous quantification of tryptophan metabolites in culture medium from cancer cells, Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis, 176 (2019) 112805-112816. DOI: 10.1016/j.jpba.2019.112805.
- Sadok, K. Tyszczuk-Rotko, R. Mroczka, M. Staniszewska, Simultaneous voltammetric analysis of tryptophan and kynurenine in culture medium from human cancer cells, Talanta 209 (2020) 120574 - 120585. DOI: 10.1016/j.talanta.2019.120574.
- Sadok, K. Rachwał, M. Staniszewska, Simultaneous Quantification of Selected Kynurenines Analyzed by Liquid Chromatography-Mass Spectrometry in Medium Collected from Cancer Cell Cultures, J. Vis. Exp. 159 (2020) e61031, doi:10.3791/6103
- Tyszczuk-Rotko, J. Kozak, M. Sztanke, K. Sztanke, I. Sadok, A screen-printed sensor coupled with flow system for quantitative determination of a novel promising anticancer agent candidate, Senors 20 (18) (2020) 5217 - 5228, doi:10.3390/s20185217
- Sadok, K. Rachwał, I. Jonik, M. Staniszewska, Reliable chromatographic assay for measuring of indoleamine 2,3-dioxygenase (IDO) activity in human cancer cells, Journal of Enzyme Inhibition and Medicinal Chemistry 36(1) (2021) 581-592, doi: 10.1080/14756366.2021.1882451
- Kuźniar, K. Włodarczyk, I. Sadok, M. Staniszewska, M. Woźniak, K. Furtak, J. Grządziel, A. Gałązka, E. Skórzyńska-Polit, A. Wolińska, A Comprehensive Analysis Using Colorimetry, Liquid Chromatography-Tandem Mass Spectrometry and Bioassays for the Assessment of Indole Related Compounds Produced by Endophytes of Selected Wheat Cultivars, Molecules 26(5) 2021 1394 -1412, doi:10.3390/molecules26051394
- Staniszewska M, Bronowicka-Szydełko A, Gostomska-Pampuch K, Szkudlarek J, Bartyś A, Bieg T, Gamian E, Kochman A, Picur B, Pietkiewicz J, Kuropka P, Szeja W, Wiśniewski J, Ziółkowski P, Gamian A., The melibiose-derived glycation product mimics a unique epitope present in human and animal tissues, Scientific Reports. 2021 Feb 3;11(1):2940. doi: 10.1038/s41598-021-82585-7
- Tkaczuk-Włach J, Kędzierski W, Jonik I, Sadok I, Filip A, Kankofer M, Polkowski W, Ziółkowski P, Gamian A, Staniszewska M, Immunomodulatory Factors in Primary Endometrial Cell Cultures Isolated from Cancer and Noncancerous Human Tissue-Focus on RAGE and IDO1, Cells 2021 Apr 25;10(5):1013. doi: 10.3390/cells10051013
- Czech M, Konopacka M, Rogolinski J, Maniakowski Z, Staniszewska M, Łaczmanski Ł, Witkowska D, Gamian A, The Genotoxic and Pro-Apoptotic Activities of Advanced Glycation End-Products (MAGE) Measured with Micronuclei Assay Are Inhibited by Their Low Molecular Mass Counterparts, Genes 2021, 12, 729. https://doi.org/10.3390/genes12050729